Thursday, December 16, 2010

Ineffective Parenting

Eli was the High Priest over Israel his two sons, Hophni and Phineas, assisted him as Priests in the work.

“Eli’s sons were scoundrels; they had no regard for the LORD”

Eli’s sons abused their position by having sex with the women who served and by handling the sacrifices improperly. Eli was aware of his son’s evil behavior and reprimanded them.

“Why do you do such things? I hear from all the people about these wicked deeds of yours. No, my sons; the report I hear spreading among the LORD’s people is not good. If one person sins against another, God may mediate for the offender; but if anyone sins against the LORD, who will intercede for them?” His sons, however, did not listen to their father’s rebuke”

Because of Eli’s ineffectual parenting God killed the two sons and punished Eli.

“At that time I will carry out against Eli everything I spoke against his family—from beginning to end. For I told him that I would judge his family forever because of the sin he knew about; his sons blasphemed God, and he failed to restrain them. Therefore I swore to the house of Eli, ‘The guilt of Eli’s house will never be atoned for by sacrifice or offering.”

“The man who brought the news replied, “Israel fled before the Philistines, and the army has suffered heavy losses. Also your two sons, Hophni and Phinehas, are dead, and the ark of God has been captured.” When he mentioned the ark of God, Eli fell backward off his chair by the side of the gate. His neck was broken and he died, for he was an old man, and he was heavy. He had led Israel forty years.”

Eli was not effective as a parent. He had the means at his disposal to control his sons but did not use it. Minimally as a parent he reprimanded them and perhaps convinced himself that he was doing all he could do but he was a failure.

Parents should never tolerate a child’s misbehavior. Don’t be like Eli and use one tool and give up. Children can be controlled and it’s in their best interests that they be controlled. Study God’s Word and read the story of Helen Keller.

1 comment:

  1. I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

    -Helen Keller-

    ReplyDelete