Saturday, November 3, 2012

Being Better Neighbors

Howdy. You know in David's class last night he asked the question, "Why aren't we saving more lost souls?" The answer was found in 1 Cor. 9...service...At the end of class I made the comment that another reason is that we aren't that different than non-christians.
Here is an example. My neighbor, Barney, mows 2 acres just like I do. I noticed the other day he was using his push mower. I talked to him and found out that his riding mower was broken and he was going to try to replace the engine on it. I told him he could use my riding mower any time he wanted. He said...no he would just keep using the push mower. I walked away feeling like I had done my duties as a neighbor and as a christian.
Tonight about 7 pm I was out with my chain saw trimming up my oak trees when I noticed Barney pushing that mower through grass that was about 12 inches tall. I thought, "Barney really needs to buy a riding mower" and continued trimming my trees. Then I saw Barney's other neighbor, Andy come over with his riding mower and start helping Barney. I thought, "Doh... I wish that was me!" and I felt ashamed because Andy was a better neighbor than me. Julie came out and I related to her my feelings and she told me to get my mower and help...it wasn't too late...so I did.
See, Andy's not even a Christian. I never see him going to church. Usually he's sitting on his front porch with a can of beer in his hand. Often times in areas of service we're not any better than non-christians. We're going to have to really work hard to be different than the rest of the world.
Here's another lesson. You can offer to help someone but oftentimes it's better just to help without asking. See a need and fulfill it. The benefit of helping others is not primarily for them...it's for you and me...it turns us into better people and we might convert a lost soul along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment