Saturday, June 21, 2014

Customer Service

Julie and I were in New Orleans a few weeks ago and were scheduled to go to a lunch put on by a drug company. We were a little early and Julie was hungry so we walked in to the hotel restaurant where they were still serving a breakfast buffet. I asked how much it was and the server said $28. Julie said… I’ll just wait and walked out.
The server said… if she wants a muffin I’m sure that will be OK. So I fetched my bride and she picked out a Blueberry muffin. As we were walking out the server ran to us and said… here’s a napkin.
Wow! That’s customer service.
How about “customer service” in our assemblies… specifically our visitors? Do we ignore them or give them a warm welcome and act as if we are truly interested in them. Do we judge them because they may be dressed inappropriately or do we ignore their dress for the sake of being hospitable? Are body piercings and tattoos so repulsive to us that it creates a barrier to hospitality?
I was paid a compliment by a former employer who is not known for paying compliments. He said, “Rob Perkins can talk to anyone, no matter their station in life, and make them feel comfortable”. That compliment really goes to my mother because I learned hospitality from her. Learn hospitality. Don’t be too busy and neglect visitors and don’t judge based on appearance. Practice excellent “customer service”.
That server at the Ritz Carlton in New Orleans? I told her if she wanted a job I would gladly hire her. She is a precious jewel. I hope that visitors at Parkway can see the same qualities in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment