Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happiness and Sorrow

Julie and I were at a gathering last night and I saw an older couple (probably married 50 plus years) who I know on a casual basis. A friend told me that the wife had gone into the hospital for a cardiac procedure and had nearly died. He added that at the time he was pretty sure she would pull through but he wasn’t sure her husband would. My friend told me the man was so shaken and overcome with worry for his wife that he couldn’t even talk.
I watched the older couple and while everyone else was gathered around tables, playing games and having fun… they sat off by themselves just holding hands and looking at each other and saying a few words to each other and smiling at each other. And I thought I saw in him happiness and sorrow. Happiness that the thing he treasured the most in this world, his wife, had been given back to him and sorrow that it was just a preview of what was to come.
It was a learning moment for me that things don’t last forever and to treasure the moments with each other and perhaps be a little more patient with each other.
There are a lot of great things in this life but unfortunately a lot of sorrow too. Thank God there is something better waiting for those who believe in Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment