Friday, November 20, 2015

A Few Thoughts as I turn 61.

I turned 61 the other day. For perspectives sake when my Dad was 61 he was fighting cancer and had about a year to live. When my mom was 61 she was completing her first year of widowhood. No one had anticipated this huge change in their lives. It all started when Dad had a cough that wouldn’t go away and went to go see the doctor. Of course the doctor told him he had 14 months to live.
As I contemplate these things I realize I could wake up one day and have a doctor give me equally life changing and devastating news. I’ve got a year to live or Julie has a year to live.
So for me that means not to get too caught up in life and pleasure but to keep all things in perspective and live a life that emphasizes godliness and service to others.
Life is a big school and has taught me how to deal with the abrupt loss of an active parent at a relatively young age and now is teaching me the lesson of slowly losing a parent through the aging process.
Blessed be the name of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment