Sunday, January 20, 2019

Early Decisions

I participate (most years) in a Career Day at one of the local High Schools. Of course I am there to promote Veterinary Medicine. Along the way, I have told them that they are at a point in their lives where they are going to be making some really momentous and life changing decisions at a time when they are perhaps the least qualified to do so. Things like getting married, furthering their education, freedom to drink alcohol, etc.
Then I tell them that the career they choose can shape them as a person. For instance, as a Veterinarian, wherever I go people want to talk and visit with me and thank me, etc. Why? Because I have helped them with what is sometimes the most precious thing they have… their pets. That kind of continual positive reinforcement has a shaping effect.
On the other hand there are careers that can be less fulfilling. Consider what it would be like to be a divorce lawyer and day after day see people at their worst. Or a prison guard or working in the tobacco industry. Think how that might negativity shape you.
Another thing to consider is that some careers have a high suicide rate, other careers are hard on families and have a high divorce rate.
Christianity has a shaping effect as well. Leading a good life, a life-long commitment to a spouse, sober living, treating others kindly no matter how they mistreat you has a tremendous shaping affect. As I look back at my life with Julie I see that many extra-ordinary blessings have been showered upon us. I can’t take credit for any of them… they came from God.
Choose to serve God at an early age, never doubt him and live by faith. He will shape you and bless you and when you’re a little further down the road you too can look back and see that God was with you every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment