Sunday, April 7, 2019

Conquering Temptations

The letter written by James contains information on how Christians can be spiritually complete (which by the way should be the goal of every Christian).
Christians should be happy about temptations because the successful victory over temptations is proof of faith.
The author also defines those who fail at temptations. Those who are novices in their faith may have areas of weakness in their hearts that are simmering at a low level. If those areas are not extinguished and opportunity arises they can burst into flame and cause one to be spiritually burnt up.
The author identifies some of those temptations as “filthiness”, “wickedness”, “outbursts of anger”, “discrimination”, and “the love of money”.
I have a note section on my IPhone where I list every weakness that I think I have and every weakness that others have told me that I have (I also have a section on the positive things people have said about me).
I think and pray about those weaknesses and welcome opportunities (temptations) to defeat those things so I can be spiritually complete. I have confidence in 1 Corinthians 10:13 that assures me that God will not allow me to be tempted more than I can endure.
It’s a blessing when people say good things about you but it’s a greater blessing to hear the negative things.
We’re building a spiritual house both individually and collectively (the church) for a “dwelling place of God in the Spirit” (Eph. 2:21-22). Let’s make it the best it can be. It starts with conquering temptations.

No comments:

Post a Comment