Sunday, August 18, 2019

Just Visiting

Larry and I went to visit a young man today who grew up at Parkway but hasn’t attended in a long time. His father has passed away but his mother still attends. I guess I’m writing this to encourage others to go visit.
I’ve kept up with this young man on Facebook and know that to this date he still mourns the passing of his father. After we sat around the kitchen table and shared a few pleasantries I asked him why he wasn’t coming to church. He said that he is engaged in some activities that are not consistent with being a Christian.
I told him that I respected that he didn’t want to be a hypocrite, but I advised him that he should still attend anyway and give Christianity a chance. That he might hear something that would motivate him to clean up some of those behaviors in his life.
I also told him the truth that his dad was a very godly man and that if his dad could send him a message from heaven he would tell him to rebuild his faith. Then I told him he could be very influential to his siblings and nieces and nephews.
Finally I told him that it looked like he had been working out and challenged him to an arm wrestling match if he would attend next Sunday morning. Of course he’s in his thirties and I’m fast approaching 65 so he agreed. That match lasted several minutes and several times I had his arm on the table but never could “break” his wrist. Because we are friends I could say things like “the Devil is really strong in this one” and “looks like he really doesn’t want to go to church”. Finally we were both breathing hard and we both gave up.
He did say he had to work next Sunday but wasn’t sure if it was Sunday morning or Sunday night. I take that as good news.
I told Larry on the way back that he would always remember that we cared enough to come and see him and that well after I’m dead and buried he would remember that he arm wrestled Mr. Perkins who cared about his soul’s salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment