Monday, January 15, 2024

Pampered Paupers

I was listening to a comedian the other day and he said he went out to dinner with a guy that was worth 100 million dollars. He said he himself was worth only 40 million dollars but they still ordered the same steak. Lol.
That seemed to validate the idea to me that you can only do so much with wealth… there’s only so much you can buy. And yet its almost like a game or contest with rich people to see how much wealth they can accumulate.
It must be a real struggle to figure out what to do with money unless your real goal is just to use it to make more money or to risk it in a big gamble just for the thrill of a big pay out.
Those who don’t love money try to figure out how they can help other people. i.e. they love people more than money.
I’m all for responsibility in handling wealth. I think the Parable of the Talents suggests that concept. Invest it wisely and use the proceeds to help others.
I heard of a group of Christians who pooled their monies and went to some of the villages of fellow Christians in Africa and drilled water wells for them so they wouldn’t have to walk to the river.
That seems to me to be the perfect example of people who love others more than they love money.
I like eating a nice steak every once in a while but I’m also quite happy to eat a chili cheese dog.
Lets be careful not to pamper ourselves so much that we neglect the paupers. Maybe we should pamper the paupers.

No comments:

Post a Comment