Friday, September 13, 2013

Good Neighbors: Borrowing and Lending

I’ve reaches the age where I don’t really like to borrow things from people. Oh, I’m a good lender… and if you borrow from me I’ll make you feel like I’m your best friend… but me borrowing… that’s a different story.
Today I was riding my lawnmower and noticed that it was gouging my yard. I didn’t really want to go buy another lawn mower so I called my friend Juan. Juan repairs small engines and he and I have developed a friendship. He’s one of the few people I will borrow from. So I called Juan and told him about my problem and asked him if he had a riding lawnmower I could rent. Juan replied, “I’ve got one you can use”. That’s Juan-talk for he won’t take any money.
I mowed my two acres with Juan’s riding mower and when I was finished I blew all the dust off of it, sprayed it down with a pressure washer and filled the gas tank up all the way. I’m returning that mower better than I received it. That’s being a good neighbor. Be a good neighbor when you borrow something. Don’t return borrowed equipment back with only one drop of gasoline left in it and so caked with dirt you can’t recognize it.
I know Juan won’t take money from me but I’ll tell him something like… “take your wife out to eat on me” or if that doesn’t work I’ll give him some flea products for his dogs (he’s got 14 of them). Good friends take care of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment