Sunday, March 31, 2019

Tearing Down Barns

In Luke 12:16-21, Jesus tells the story of a rich farmer who had a good year and harvested a big crop. The harvest was so big that he didn’t have room for it all so he decided to tear down his old barns and build new bigger barns. He also decided he was going to take it easy and enjoy his wealth and not work so hard.
God condemns him and sends him to his eternal reward. Jesus finishes up by saying, “So is he that lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”
You see when I was a kid and read those verses I thought it was a sin to tear down an old barn and build a bigger, better one. That’s what I got out of that.
What the passage is really teaching is that the rich farmer should have given some of his wealth to help the poor and should have kept working to help even more. That’s how you are “rich toward God”… by helping his people. It’s not a sin to tear down an old barn and it’s not a sin to retire. It is a sin not to be “rich towards God (by helping those who are in need)”
I look back at some of my misconceptions about the Bible and shudder. Of course I was just a young man but it illustrates the need for teachers and mentors. It also illustrates God’s patience and about having the attitude of continual Bible study to perfect our understanding.
We should be very humble about what we think we know and always be willing to listen to and evaluate a different view point.
I hope I didn’t condemn anyone for tearing down a barn but knowing me… I wouldn’t be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment