Friday, January 31, 2020

Of Myths and Fluff

The Apostle Paul instructed the young Evangelist Timothy to… preach the word and in that preaching to correct, rebuke and encourage with great patience and instruction.
He warned Timothy that people will have a tendency to only want to listen to Preachers that they liked and that people have a tendency to listen to “myths” rather than the word of God.
I hear a lot of myths like… “God wants me to be happy and I’m not happy with this woman I’m married to so God wants me to find another woman.” Or this myth… “Thinking about God sitting on a mountain top is better than attending a man-made church.”
Those are webs that Satan (the great spider) has spun to catch people who won’t tolerate sound Gospel preaching.
Several years ago my son was looking at some old pictures of me and said… “Dad you’re losing muscle mass” those truthful words inspired me to go to the gym on a regular basis and start lifting weights.
However… the words I would have really liked to hear from my son (or anybody) is Dad you look great… but that would have been so much fluff. In retrospect I’m glad he was truthful with me.
There’s a lot of fluff in the world… look for people who will tell you the truth about yourself. Find a church that doesn’t just offer up spiritual cookies and cake. Find a church with a Preacher like Timothy that will offer up a balanced spiritual diet and who will tell you the truth about yourself… so you can be the soldier God wants you to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment