Sunday, March 1, 2020

Turkeys and People

I used to raise Rio Grande Turkeys and my goal was to raise them up and set them free on the land surrounding our home so I could watch them live free in nature. I started by ordering eggs online and incubating them.
When that first batch of eggs started hatching I figured I would help them out of their shells and all the ones I helped ended up dying. You see… sometimes its good and necessary to let nature takes its course. Turns out God knew more about hatching Turkeys than I did.
Sometimes the same thing is true with people.
When I was in the Big Brother program my young charge showed me a scratch on his hand and I looked at it and said… I wouldn’t worry about that. He went inside and Ms. Julie cleaned it up for him and bandaged it along with some very soothing words.
People get hurt on the Volleyball court. Usually a turned ankle but sometimes a dislocated finger. A young woman turned her ankle and laid on the floor for a while crying and I helped her off the court, etc. One of the older Volleyball players later counseled me not to show too much sympathy… they need to get off the court and can cry on the bench. One of the players dislocated a finger and without a tear or a whimper asked me if I could stretch it out and put it back in and I did.
Or the parent who thinks their little genius can do no wrong and it must be the teachers fault.
Or the wife who makes excuses for a lazy husband.
Or the person who is caught up in sin and claims… that’s just who they are and can’t change.
Successful Christians are those who take responsibility and ownership for their sins and work to live sin free lives. Their friends help them by telling them the truth and by holding them accountable. Ultimately they have to hatch out of that old sinful shell themselves.
You know I finally learned how to successful incubate Turkey eggs and released 30 Rio Grande Turkeys into the wild but within a couple of days they were back at my house looking for a hand out of corn. Turns out you can tame anything with corn (and pampering).

No comments:

Post a Comment