Monday, March 22, 2021

Benefits of Continual Bible Reading

When he takes the throne of his kingdom, he is to write for himself on a scroll a copy of this law, taken from that of the Levitical priests. It is to be with him, and he is to read it all the days of his life so that he may learn to revere the Lord his God and follow carefully all the words of this law and these decrees and not consider himself better than his fellow Israelites and turn from the law to the right or to the left.
Then he and his descendants will reign a long time over his kingdom in Israel. Deut. 17:18-20
This is found in a section concerning the duties of a king over Israel. Note that he is to read the Law “all the days of his life.” Not some of the days. Nor is he to read it and put it up and think to himself… I’ve read it… I don’t need to read it again.
As a leader in the congregation I can see the wisdom in that. I read my Bible every day and have developed the habit of writing notes in the margin. As I cycle back through the Bible I sometimes run across some notes that I don’t remember and think… hmmm that’s very interesting.
So as humans we’re forgetful and as leaders we can never forget so we have to read… read…read.
This text also reveals a benefit of reading… we learn (by reading) to “revere the Lord our God”. So important. The moment we stop revering God and substitute that with revering ourselves we’re in huge trouble and so is the congregation.
Note the last sentence in the text… “not consider himself better than his fellow Israelites…”
You see sometimes when you have a lot of success and people are complimenting you all the time you might start buying into that and might think… I am special… I am great… I’m the greatest! and in doing so neglect God who put you in that position.
So we have to keep reading to know how to lead and how to be humble giving the true credit to God.
In that way the congregation will have the kind of leadership she needs and will prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment