Monday, May 22, 2023

The Importance of a Song Service

This Wednesday night Marc is going to talk about the importance of song selection and it reminded me of something David Smitherman told me. I’ve forgotten his exact words but it was something like the song service could make or break his sermon. I’m guessing that he meant if the song leader and the song service struggled then it either impacted him or the congregation in a negative way (maybe both). Contrast that with the concept that if songs are thought provoking and easy to sing and led in a way that lift the spirits of the congregation how that could impact the lesson in a positive way.
I know that for me I like to lead a song just prior to the lesson that is not doleful or sad. Those kinds of songs have their place but not right before the lesson. I like to get the congregation on their feet and lead a song that builds a little energy and blows out the spiritual cobwebs. Sometimes after a song like that I’ll make the comment to Marc… “they’re ready and they’re all yours”

No comments:

Post a Comment