skip to main |
skip to sidebar
Alexander Bishop of Alexandria
Brothers in Christ,
My name is Alexander, Bishop of Alexandria. I have devoted my life to shepherding the Church and preserving the faith that has been handed down to us by the apostles. I never imagined that one of the greatest threats to that faith would come from one of my own presbyters.
Arius was an intelligent and persuasive teacher. I respected him and hoped he would become a faithful servant of Christ. But when he began teaching that there was a time when the Son of God did not exist—that Jesus was the first and greatest of God's creatures—I knew the Church faced a danger greater than persecution. False doctrine has a way of quietly dividing the Church from within.
I did not immediately condemn Arius. As his bishop, I met with him and pleaded with him to reconsider his teaching in light of the Scriptures and the faith the Church has always confessed. I wanted reconciliation, not division. But when he refused to repent and continued spreading his doctrine, I had no choice. Together with the bishops of Egypt, I excommunicated him—not because I hated him, but because I loved Christ, His Church, and the truth. A shepherd must protect the flock.
Unfortunately, the matter did not end there. Arius found influential bishops willing to support him, and the controversy spread throughout the empire. That is why we have gathered here at Nicaea.
As I speak with each of you, I am not asking you to follow Alexander. I am asking you to follow the testimony of Scripture.
John begins his Gospel by declaring, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." He then tells us that all things were created through Him. If all things were created through Christ, then Christ Himself cannot be a created being.
Thomas worshiped Him, saying, "My Lord and my God." Paul teaches that in Christ all the fullness of deity dwells bodily. The writer of Hebrews calls Him the exact representation of the Father's nature. These are not descriptions of the highest creature. They are descriptions of God Himself.
But allow me to ask a question.
If Jesus is not truly God, then what makes His sacrifice different from any other man who has ever lived?
For centuries our Jewish fathers faithfully offered the blood of bulls and goats upon the altar. Yet the Scriptures teach us those sacrifices could never truly take away sins. They pointed us toward something greater.
Now Arius tells us that Christ is merely another created being.
If that is true, then what has really changed? We have simply replaced the blood of animals with the blood of another creature. How can one created life accomplish what countless sacrifices under the Law never could?
No, brothers. The New Covenant is greater because the One who established it is greater. The value of Christ's sacrifice is not merely that He died. Many righteous men have died. The value of His sacrifice is found in who He is. He is the eternal Son of God who took on flesh and offered Himself for us.
Only God can fully reveal God. Only God can reconcile mankind to God. If Christ is not truly God, then I fear we have no better sacrifice than those who still await the Messiah. But if Christ is God in the flesh, then God Himself has provided the perfect and final sacrifice for sin.
That is why this controversy matters. It is not about pride. It is not about politics. It is not about winning an argument. It is about preserving the very foundation of our hope.
Please understand my heart. I do not seek to embarrass Arius. I seek the unity of Christ's Church. But unity without truth cannot endure.
Brothers, I desire peace as much as any man in this room.
But peace purchased at the price of truth is no peace at all—it is merely pretense.
Truth first.
Then unity.
Then peace.
That is the faith I received.
That is the faith I have preached.
That is the faith for which I excommunicated Arius.
And by the grace of God, that is the faith I will defend.
No comments:
Post a Comment