Monday, September 14, 2026

Martha Bannings Funeral

Julie and I went to Martha Banning’s funeral In Houston yesterday. Robert and Martha were some of the best friends of my parents. They had four kids that we grew up with… Angie, Kathleen, Dorothy and David. Of course David was just a pup but those three sisters… oh my!
We all attended Spring Branch Church of Christ which is no more. The Elders moved the congregation to Frey Road. The Banning’s with others from Spring Branch started the Klein Road Church of Christ where Robert became an Elder.
Turns out David Banning is one of the preachers at Kleinwood and he officiated the ceremony for his mother. He was amazing. Among the Elders were two kids that I grew up with… John Cogdil and Mark Richardson. Don Cantrel another one of the Elders is a guy that was friends with my mother. Small world.
When we went in the first familiar face was Beverly Cogill. Her dad was Vernon Goss. I remember when we first moved to Houston the men would go outside and smoke cigarettes between services. Vernon was an Elder at Spring Branch and was at D-Day in World War II. I guess he can smoke a cigarette.
Julie and I were sitting on a pew and a woman came up to me and said are you Scott Perkins (my deceased brother). We look alike.
I ran across Richard Besselman who drove down from the Fort Worth area. He looked at me and said… I figured you would be here. Richard’s family was at Spring Branch but I didn’t really know him because he was younger. What I did remember was a lot of talk about Patsy Besselman his mother because she passed away when he was young.
I caught up with Richard a few years ago ay a New Mexico Elk hunting trip that Ray Torno organizes every year. Richard and Tim Torno came. We had the best time visiting and playing “42” and Richard and I have kept up with each other. We get along like Peas and carrots.
He had reminded me that he was at a young peoples gathering at the Bannings and my brother Greg and cousin Mark were there and he took a bottle rocket in the eye and has no vision out of the eye. I introduced Richard to my brother Greg and blamed him for Richards eye. Richard dead panned… its okay I have another eye.
We saw former members Daniel and Julianne Baker and had a good visit with them.
We saw Richard and Joyce Bruce and her sister Nancy. Nancy recognized me immediately I have no idea how. They were great friends of my parents and are from Sinton, Texas just down the road.
My old friend Brent Clanton had a part in the service. I don’t know where he attends but I’ll bet he is an Elder.
I was hoping to see Paul Thornton and didn’t until after I had got to our car taken off my boots, jacket, etc. and my brother Greg texted me that Paul was looking for me. I had not seen Paul since about 1971. His dad preached for us at Spring Branch. Paul was very athletic and drove a VW Beetle. He was always gathering the young people together to go do things… basketball, bowling etc. In hind sight its good for young people to step up and take a leadership role. Fond memories.
Anyway I put my tennis shoes on and went back in and found him and had the best visit with him.
Whenever I would see some of my old friends I would say… looks like you have had a lot of birthdays or if I saw someone who looked familiar but I wasn’t really sure who they were I would go up to them, shake hands and say… you look like an older version of someone I used to know.
It was a big city funeral, a lot of coats and ties, etc. I did my best to represent South Texas casual. So did Richard Besselman.
Before the service Julie and I stood in the line to talk to Robert Banning and when we got to him he got a big grin on his face and mentioned a few stories like the time there was a big clap of thunder at out house and me and my brothers dropped down in the yard and pretended to be dead knowing mother would be worried and watching. Sure enough she ran out crying but when we popped up she started laughing. And they time Dad had drained the oil out of the truck and left it to do something else and mom ran out, jumped in and drove it to the grocery store. Robert remembered those things.
I wouldn’t have missed that funeral for anything for one thing because Angie said our mom was like a second mother to them and because they all came to my dad’s funeral and my brothers funeral.
One thing about Martha, she said don’t do anything to keep me alive longer because I’m ready to go.
This is pretty long and if you’re still reading I just have one more thing to say. I’m a better person for having attended that funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment