Sunday, November 8, 2009

Old Friends

Sometimes our past comes to visit us. You build your life and get used to it and live in it everyday, and get comfortable with it and then unexpectedly your other life pays you a visit.

That has happened to me at least three times that I can remember. The first time was when David Banning came for a gospel meeting. It wasn’t David who shook me up, it was his dad who came with him… Robert Banning. I nearly cried when I saw Robert. The Banning family has always been close to our family. Robert helped me get a job at Daniel Industries in Houston when I was in high school. My first car was a 1965 Pontiac Lemans. Robert worked on it for me. Robert served as a deacon with dad at Spring Woods. Later Robert was an elder at Kleinwood. I guess the last time I saw Robert was at my dad’s funeral.

The second time my past visited me was a few years ago when Kent Ellis walked in the church building unexpectedly… again overwhelming emotion. Kent preached and served as an elder with my dad at Spring Woods church of Christ. Kent along with Robert Harkrider preached at my dad’s funeral.

The third time was this past Wednesday night. Flo and Gerald Clanton visited. I didn’t even recognize them. I guess it’s been at least 30 years since I’ve seen them. Gerald was a deacon with dad at Spring Branch church of Christ. Later Gerald was an elder at Frey road in Houston. Their oldest son Brent was my good friend and dated Julie’s sister Becky. In fact, when the Bedwells moved to Houston they stayed for a month at a motel on the Katy freeway (I-10). Brent and I had the bright idea of sneaking out and riding our bicycles to go see Julie and Becky. After the visit as we were pulling out on our bicycles Brent’s parents and my parents pulled into the parking lot and caught us. Mom’s maternal instincts had caused her to wake up and check on us. Her instincts also caused her to wake the Clantons up and surmise where we might be.

I guess the common denominator in all this is a Christian heritage. Godly parents who were committed to Christ and his church. I guess I didn’t know at the time when I was growing up how important fellow Christians would be to me. I know now.

No comments:

Post a Comment