Friday, July 17, 2015

Preparation for Prayer

I don’t know about you but I don’t pray very well unless I have prepared myself for prayer… both in private and public prayer.
Personally, I don’t like to open worship services with a prayer. I like to pray a little deeper into the service when I have had time to sing a few songs and reflect on the words, and the needs of my brothers and sisters in Christ, etc.
Also, in private prayer if I think “oh I need to pray” and start praying then those prayers tend to be short and routine. If I can begin my day by reading from God’s word or by reflecting on my blessings or problems then my prayers have more depth to them.
Holy people of old prepared themselves for prayer by fasting and wearing humble clothing.
Prayer is important but not just praying for the sake of praying. Prepare yourselves for prayer. I’ve got a feeling that God doesn’t want to hear prayers recited from memory but rather prayers generated from the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment