Friday, April 5, 2024

Constantly Learning

I learn a little bit about myself from time to time. Recently I had a surgical procedure and kept it kind of quiet. Like a need to know basis… my kids, my office and some Volleyball players who wanted me to play in a tournament with them.
I didn’t ask for a bunch of prayers because first of all I have a lot of confidence in the surgeon and the anesthesiologist. Plus, I have a lot of confidence in God. The morning of the surgery I prayed to him and requested that I live a long life with my wife surrounded by my kids and my grand kids. I know he heard me.
Logically, I know that probably I am not God’s favorite son but I do feel like I might be his favorite… its possible… maybe not probable but possible. After all he has blest me and blest me and there is no other explanation except that he must like me.
So, for me, it felt a little bit like an insult to Him that I would beg for the prayers of others when I know that he is watching me and listening to me. I hope you understand that.
When I was in recovery and in some pain my first thought was about Julie and I felt the emotions well up in me. In fact I told the nurse… I think I’m going to cry. Every time I thought about Julie I felt emotional until finally I did some sobbing. Julie told me later that the nurses said “He’s asking for you”.
Totally surprising to me… I had not anticipated that.
I guess that thing about the two shall become one flesh must be true. Neither one of us is perfect and in fact we annoy each other from time to time but we have learned that those feelings are of little consequence compared to the deep love we have for each other. And I guess I understand that a little bit better when I sat in a recovery room with pain and only a stranger who had no idea who I was to keep me company instead of the love of my life.
Sometimes I think she understands me better than I understand myself.
Like I said… sometimes I discover things about myself and that makes me appreciate my friend and Father all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment