Monday, April 8, 2024

Disagreeing with an Apostle

Some time later Paul said to Barnabas, “Let us go back and visit the believers in all the towns where we preached… ” Barnabas wanted to take John Mark, with them, but Paul did not think it wise to take him, because he had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not continued with them in the work. They had such a sharp disagreement that they parted company. Acts 15:36-41.
Very interesting. Barnabas gets in an argument with the Apostle Paul and it’s a “sharp” disagreement. I read this as there were some emotions involved… maybe even some level of anger.
I can imagine Paul’s end of it. John Mark agreed to go with us and then he quit on us… he’s a quitter. He left me in a big bind and I’m not going down that road again. I need someone who I can rely on and his name is not John Mark!
On the other end of it Barnabas defends John Mark… John Mark made one mistake and now he’s sorry… I say we give him another chance. Paul… if you’re so set on your opinion then I don’t want to go with you. You take Silas and I’ll take John Mark.
Interesting that Paul didn’t play the “Apostle Card”. Like… I’m an Apostle chosen by God on the road to Damascus. I’ve been whipped and abused, etc. I walked with Jesus Christ and what I say goes.
Nor did Paul compromise for the sake of…
“Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace”
Which he wrote with his own hand in the letter to the Ephesians (4:3)
Neither Paul nor Barnabas was accused of any kind of sin. They apparently in all the emotion didn’t call each other names or ascribe their choices to the influence of Beelzebub. I’m guessing in their disagreement they still respected each other.
I guess if you can disagree with an Apostle then you can disagree with any other kind of Christian; Elders (as much as I hate to say it), Preachers, the aged and maybe even your parents.
And we don’t have to compromise our principles for the “Bond of peace”
However in any kind of disagreement, even an emotional one, it should be done with respect and shouldn’t sever the relationship… and the cause of Christ should not be harmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment