Sunday, November 21, 2021

How to Handle Persecution

“I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
We read a verse like this and understand that Jesus is directly talking to his disciples about the tribulation/persecution they would personally suffer and then we correctly try to make application to whatever tribulation/persecution we might suffer.
The first thing to realize is that whatever tribulation we experience it is nothing like what Jesus’ disciples experienced.
In addition, this verse is not about the tribulation we might experience that is common to all mankind. This type of tribulation only relates to our faith in Jesus Christ. If we say or do something stupid and are persecuted for it that’s on us… it is not relevant in this discussion.
But say we are persecuted for the right reasons… there are some things to understand. First of all we shouldn’t moan and groan about it and advertise it in a pitiful way to everyone. Rather we should be happy about it… after all that is an experience that we can share with Jesus Christ.
The other thing is to remember who is persecuting us. The persecutors are either spiritually ignorant or they are evil. So knowing that, we can respond out of knowledge.
Something like this…
“I know you can’t see this but I am wearing the full armor of God and those insults you just directed at me just fell right off”
“You have a problem and I know what it is… you are spiritually ignorant and you are following the commands of your father Satan. So I’m going to pray for you and ask the father to open your eyes so you can see the truth and develop understanding”
Or you can just ignore it and walk away because generally there’s not much use in talking to ignorant or evil people.
I can’t remember if anyone has spoken against me because of my faith or not but remember… don’t let anyone push you around… because you have God and his people on your side and the armor thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment