Monday, November 22, 2021

The Prodigal (and loved) Son

I don’t know where I went wrong with Caleb. Maybe I was too hard on him or maybe I was too soft… I just don’t know. His mother Abigail died when he was just a toddler and I just couldn’t bring myself to remarry. Every time I looked at Caleb as he grew up I could see more and more of his mother in him and I don’t know… it kind of hurt.
Seth wasn’t anything like Caleb, he was big and strong and I could count on him to do the work we needed on the farm… he loved farm life and I loved him for loving what I loved.
Every time we went into town on the Sabbath Caleb was always hanging around with kids his age who were a little on the wild side and Caleb seemed to like to hang around the Gentile boys too.
I knew that sooner or later I was going to lose him and then one day he came up to me and said… Dad, I’m of age and since I’m not going to inherit this farm anyway I just want my inheritance to try something different.
I didn’t really trust what Caleb was telling me but I knew if I didn’t give him the money he would resent it and I would probably never see him again. I watched him gather his things and watched him walk down that road until he disappeared. Oh Jehovah God what have I done? Where is Abigail when I need her the most? Please protect Caleb for me!
I remember when I got that money from my Dad that I was finally going to do things my way. I was tired of Seth being the favorite son… Mr Goody Two Shoes.
The Gentile boys had told me what life was like in Ammon… drinking and dancing and girls who knew how to do things that I couldn’t even imagine. I had a great time for a while until the money began to run out. Once the money was gone my drinking buddies were gone too.
The girls quit smiling at me and flirting with their eyes. I lost all my money, I lost all my friends, I lost a place to stay and now I was stuck sleeping with these unclean hogs doing a job no one else wanted to do for pennies. I was always hungry and had nothing to eat but hog food.
Dad could never forgive me… I had slept with unclean gentile girls and now with unclean hogs. But maybe Dad would let me be a servant… they had beds to sleep in and ate three meals a day and lived happy lives.
I’ll go back home and be a servant in my father’s house. Every step I took on the way back home I rehearsed what I would say… I’m sorry Dad, you were right and I was wrong. You were so right that I am not even worthy to carry your name. Please let me be the least of all servants in your home.
Ever since Caleb had left the first thing I would do every morning when I got out of bed was get on my knees and pray to Jehovah God to bring mine and Abigail’s son back. Then in the afternoon I would sit on the porch of the house and watch the road to see if my prayers were answered.
I knew right where Caleb was. I knew he was in Ammon and I knew what he was doing there. I had heard that he had run out of money and was down on his luck.
I also knew that if I wanted him back forever I couldn’t go after him. He had to make up his own mind to come back.
One day I was watching the road and I saw a solitary figure approaching. I didn’t want to get my hopes up just to be dashed like had happened so many times before. But as the figure got closer and closer something about him seemed familiar… the way he walked… the way he held himself. Could it be?
As he got closer and closer… it had to be Caleb… it had to him. I jumped up and ran to him. It was him! It was him! He started to say something about not being worthy but I didn’t let him finish… I couldn’t. I hugged his neck and started crying and then an amazing thing happened Caleb hugged my neck and started crying too.
We held each other for a little while and I realized all the servants were watching. I told them… get these filthy clothes off him, bathe him and dress him like he deserves to be dressed… like my son… because Jehovah has done a great thing… he has returned my lost son.
A little later Seth came in from the fields and when he heard the news he was angry and said Dad I have worked side by side with you all my life. Caleb wasted your money and disgraced our family name. How could you honor him this way when you have never even thrown a party for me?
Seth, Seth… I’ve made a lot of mistakes in my life but you are not one of them. You are everything to me. I couldn’t do anything without you by my side but Caleb is your brother and the second son of your own mother. Yes he wasted the money and yes he behaved in a disgraceful way but doesn’t sorrow and repentance count for anything?
Jehovah God brought your brother back and unless I miss my guess he’ll be twice the brother and twice the son he was before.
If Jehovah can forgive so can we and so should we.

1 comment: