Monday, August 31, 2026

Ezekiel 37: Breath, Wind or Spirit?

Consider Ezekiel 37 and the translation of “Ruach”
Ezekiel 37:5–6
 Thus saith the Lord Jehovah unto these bones: Behold, I will cause RUACH (breath) to enter into you, and ye shall live.
And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put RUACH (breath) in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am Jehovah.
Ezekiel 37:8
 And I beheld, and, lo, there were sinews upon them, and flesh came up, and skin covered them above; but there was no RUACH (breath) in them.
Ezekiel 37:9
 Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the RUACH (breath), prophesy, son of man, and say to the RUACH (breath), Thus saith the Lord Jehovah: Come from the four RUACHOT (winds), O RUACH (breath), and breathe upon these slain, that they may live.
Ezekiel 37:10
 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the RUACH (breath) came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army.
Ezekiel 37:14
 And I will put my RUACH (Spirit) within you, and ye shall live, and I will place you in your own land: and ye shall know that I, Jehovah, have spoken it and performed it, saith Jehovah.
Notice with me that in the original Hebrew text the reader would consistently read one word “Ruach” while in our English translations we would read in the text “breath”, “winds”, “spirit” and “Spirit”
The Hebrew language had other words for “breath” and “wind”
“Neshamah” is a Hebrew word for “breath” and in fact is used in Genesis 2:7
“Neshev” is a Hebrew word meaning “wind” and in fact is used in Psalms 147:18
Both those words could have been substituted for “ruach” to provide clarity in the text… but weren’t. Unfortunately in the English language there is not one word that could have the meaning of “breath”, Wind”, and "Spirit". If there was we would have read the text like God’s people of old did and perhaps been better off for it.
God chose to express himself in a language in which “Ruach” could mean multiple things. Perhaps to use the relationship between those things to stimulate our thinking and better explain the nature of the Holy Spirit.
Wind is invisible, but we can see what it does.
Breath is invisible, but it is evidence of life.
The Spirit is invisible, but we can see what He does.
Maybe Ezekiel wasn't merely telling us that the Spirit gives life.
Maybe the very word RUACH was helping him show us.

No comments:

Post a Comment