Sunday, April 4, 2010

Condemning Ourselves

Consider what you would do if on the judgment day the Lord God almighty informed you that you could take one person in with you (who was not among the saved). Who would you choose?

I was thinking about this the other day and a name came immediately to my mind, the name of a loved one who was once a Christian but no longer believes.

Then I thought of someone else, a great friend who is a believer and who lives an exemplary life but attends a denomination that clearly violates plain Bible teaching. Name after name entered my mind and I began to despair because whoever I chose meant rejecting others whom I love dearly.

When I became an employer several years ago the hardest thing I had to do was to fire someone. In fact the first person we fired we gave severance pay to… that’s how dumb we were. It’s a lot easier for me now because when we fire someone it’s because they have violated clear cut rules and in effect I’m not firing them… they’re firing themselves.

God has given us clear cut instructions on how we are to live and if we choose to either not know the instructions or to ignore them, he is not condemning us to punishment we are condemning ourselves.

It’s probably not going to happen, but I wish the Lord would let me pick one condemned person to join me in heaven but if he doesn’t… that’s OK too… after all, as sad as it might be, they only have themselves to blame.

No comments:

Post a Comment