Thursday, April 15, 2010

Laughing at Enemies

Proverbs 24:17-18

Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles; Lest the Lord see it and be displeased, and he turns his anger from him (to you*).


I’ll have to admit that I have been pleased at times when I see an “enemy” get his just deserts. So this is a challenging instruction from the Lord for me. Even though it’s challenging the consequences of being happy when someone fails is that the Lord will be angry with me. I can’t afford to let that happen.

What should our reaction be when an “enemy stumbles”? I guess it should be compassion and sorrow. That’s how godly people act. They see someone who has led a horrible life and when they hit rock bottom, so to speak, they have compassion and try to help that person rebuild their life. You can’t really help someone when you are enjoying their downfall.

Laugh at them and the Lord will be angry with you.
Weep with them and the Lord will be pleased with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment