Saturday, February 11, 2023

Memories and Old Chairs

In the picture you’ll see an old chair sitting in my shop. That chair was part of a dining set that my parents got as a wedding gift in 1954. After mom moved out of her home and had to get rid of a lot of her stuff I took all six of those chairs and put them in my attic (except this one) because no one wanted them.
Along the way as my kids were getting married and starting their families I got those chairs out of the attic to let them use until they could afford something nicer. My daughter would call me from time to time because the glue would start failing on those old chairs and I would have to repair them.
I keep that chair in my shop because I like to sit in it from time to time and just think (like right now). You see that old chair has seen a lot of events in our family… all the happy times and all the sad times. The births… the deaths. When me and my brothers left home for college and when we would come back home with our families. When my dad died and when after 48 years my mom moved out of her home.
You might look at that old chair and think it’s just an old and wore out piece of wood that no one really wants anymore. But I like sitting in it and thinking and remembering and I guess if someone offered me $10,000 for it I guess I just would have to turn it down… partly because I’m not sure it would get cared for like I would care for it and partly because it would be like selling part of me.
Thanks for the memories old chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment