Thursday, January 26, 2023

Managing Anger

“Be angry and sin not…” Psalm 4:4
This text, of course, implies that you can be angry and yet not sin. We know that to be true because Jesus got angry from time to time and yet as our perfect example did not sin.
So how do we sin when we’re angry? Obviously by some physical manifestation of our anger that can range from screaming, bad language, casting insults, etc. But it can also be as subtle as angry body language. Maybe not ever expressing an angry word but throwing something or slamming a door or beating yourself on the head.
There is something else that happens when we are angry that may not technically be a sin but is at least unhealthy.
Today I got angry and I doubt that those around me even knew it but I was angry and seething internally. I was scheduled to go the gym and I pulled up and parked in the gym parking lot but didn’t really want to go in. I just wanted to go home and be angry and vent to my wife.
But I told myself… let’s close our eyes and take 10 deep breaths and only think about breathing. Afterwards I went into the gym and had a nice workout and was happy as a lark and decided to write this article.
You know in the Veterinary world when we have a behavior problem with a dog sometimes distraction is the key. For instance if Fido is constantly licking his feet and you can’t get him to stop just take him outside and throw the ball to him and play fetch until he is so exhausted he just wants to come in and take a nap. Voila!
You can also distract yourself with breathing, exercise, prayer, Bible study, or chasing a ball (lol)
You can be angry and just like Jesus… not sin and even not waste time being angry. It takes some self control and maybe a little distraction.
Serve God and remember Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment